Saturday, May 17, 2014

Sunsets in Swazi

May 16, 2014

Today was our last "work day" at the care point and the reality that our trip is on the downhill side of things started to set in. I knew it would be life changing, but I had no idea the impact these kids would have on me... and hopefully... me on them.

Every morning, I have looked forward to greeting the bomake, who make fun of my broken Siswati. However, each bomake is filled with so much love, I am slowly learning how to greet someone in Siswati and they fill my heart for the kids every morning. I have enjoyed walking around the care point and standing in awe of the beauty and peace of this place. The views are absolutely amazing and this is truly God's country. Once the kids start arriving, I have looked forward to kicking a soccer ball for hours getting to know these kids, twirling countless numbers of toddlers through the air and even just walking around the care point as a toddler grabs my hand. I have melted daily when I hear the kids singing and laughing and loving the Lord. There have been a couple times I have had to hide behind my camera, just so the kids don't see me start to tear up, because their sound is so beautiful.

The part I have looked forward to the most every day, however, is the sunset. It is when peace returns to the care point and the point I see my light shining brightest. Matthew 5:14 says, "You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hidden." To see the sun sitting atop a hill in the distance lets me rest in this verse and recharges my batteries for what we are doing here - shining our light for these children. Yet, it truly isn't our light, but the light of God, shining through us. We have tried to teach each of them to shine their light.

So, as the sun sets once again and I am seeing dusk start to arrive upon our trip, know that we all see the beauty God has placed here in Swaziland and all our hearts have been filled with His light. I am only hoping that the light we have shared with these children continues to shine bright every day as constant as the setting sun I have admired every day here.

Light and love from Swaziland,
Cameron