Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Full Circle


May 13, 2014

           Hello from Swaziland. Today was our first day at the care point and it was great to see so many familiar faces, kids and staff members. It was also great to see the bomake again. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the care point, the bomake are a group of five ladies that cook a meal for the kids each day.
            At the end of each day, a few team members try to leave the care point and go on a home visit. This is an amazing opportunity for a group of 3-4 team members and a Swazi staff member go to the homes of some of the kids. These visits help team members see where the kids live as well as whom they live with. During this time we are able to talk and pray with the family and gain a better understanding of what the kids do on a normal day. Last year I was lucky enough to go on a home visit to Make Shongwe's house. It was great to be able to talk to her and pray over her family.
            As I was on the bus going to the care point this morning, I found out that I would be helping dig a foundation for a new home for one of the bomake.  As we were walking to the foundation site, I realized that we were going to be working on a house for Make Shongwe, whose home I visited last year. Digging through the dirt, weeds and rock was hard work. With the help of some Swazi contractors we laid out the area for a new home, made a stand for her water tank, and used pick axes to start to dig the foundation for her new home.

            It was great that on my first day back at the care point I was able to go back to the home of Make Shongwe. I am glad that this year we are able to give back to the ladies of the care point who give so much to kids every day.
--Matt