Saturday, May 11, 2013

Sawubona! It's Kristine :)


Wow- where do I begin? Swaziland has been absolutely amazing and I cannot believe that we only have two more days at this wonderful care point with these kids who have captured my heart, so I'm not going to write about it. What I am going to write about though are a few of the amazing kiddos who I've met in this experience so far.

I think back to the very first day when we arrived at the guest house and had our cultural orientation- we were told about how the kids want loving touch more than anything, craving even the brush of a finger when applying a band-aid. Pouring out love into these children's lives is our main purpose for being here, as they may only receive this love and loving touch once a year in May. What is even more amazing than the love that we are able to pour into their lives is the love that they are pouring into ours. My heart is so full for these wonderful, joyful children who God has called us to serve. 

About the kiddos that we've met here- they are absolutely beautiful, smiling children of God!!! I've had the pleasure of holding, sitting, playing, and laughing with many of them. They are so loving, walking up to you and holding your hand, raising their arms to let your know they want to be held, or pretzeling your hands around their front into a warm embrace. 

I found one girl crying in the corner this morning, her name Vusikelo, and went over to hold her. She continued crying, however, and after asking some of the older girls what was wrong we could not figure it out. One boy brought her pink, plastic bowl over filled with water for her to drink which she took and drank (today was VERY hot). She perked up immediately! She smiled, played with orange play dough, and responded with a vocal "cheeese" when I told her to smile for Dawn's camera. After that she did not want to leave my side for much of the day, even waiting outside for me when I went in for lunch. Gosh she's so sweet and I wish you could see her beautiful face/smile. Another two beautiful girlies I want to mention are Zama and Nkosephayo, who stayed at the care point a little later today and made their mark in my heart, making silly faces for my camera. They are so silly and giggly, and my kind of girls (as many friends back home would tell you I have some pretty goofy camera faces)!!! I absolutely love being with these children, and am so thankful to God for calling me here. 

Oh, and just a little side story that everyone on the team has gotten some giggles out of... 

So there I was helping some kids decorate their "King David" crowns after a long day of playing,work, and VBS (vacation bible school), and I was starting to feel a little faint realizing that I hadn't really been drinking water regularly. I went inside to find a water bottle, but instead found that we'd run out. I rushed to one of our team leaders, Tara, seeing if she had anything. Looking around she found a half-full water bottle that had the cover of one of our nurses. Giving it to me, she said that she wouldn't mind me drinking it so I chugged it.... Basically I ended up getting really sick, and we realized later why this happened- I had drank half of a water bottle of HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! Let's just say that it was not the yummiest beverage that I have consumed in my life, but it did make for a good story.

Tara has now been fired (just kidding!), but she does continue to remind me not to drink the water.

Hi Mom!